Are you teaching word families? If so, you’ll want to check out these Short A Family Flip Books!
Not only are these cute, but they are also a great way to help kids practice reading! Kids can create them in the classroom and then bring them home to read to parents or caregivers. I’m excited to offer these flip books FREE to you!
Short A Family Flip Books
All you need for these flip books are the following:
- crayons or colored pencils
- Begin by printing the page on printer paper. Since you’ll probably be learning just one word family at a time, you will just print one page.
- Cut out the different boxes. You can have the students do this if they are able to.
- Have the students color the pictures and practice reading the words. Make sure to talk about how all the words are in this word family.
- Each page has a number on it. Start with number 1 and layer each paper on top of each other. Then put the family name on top.
5. Place two staples at the top to complete the flip book.
There are 12 booklets in this set. These are the word families for the short a sounds.
- at – cat, rat, mat, sat, bat
- ad – dad, mad, pad, sad, bad
- an – ran, van, fan, can, pan
- am – clam, yam, jam, ram, ham
- ag – flag, tag, bag, rag, wag
- ap – map, cap, nap, tap, gap
- ack – back, crack, stack, snack, tack
- all – tall, small, fall, call, ball
- amp – ramp, lamp, camp, champ, stamp
- and – stand, hand, band, land, sand
- ash – splash, rash, trash, flash, cash
- ant – slant, pant, plant, ant
Kids love these flip books and they are a great way to practice word families!
If you’d like to download this free printable, just click on the words below!
Check out all the flip books by clicking the words below.
Ann Marie Strom says
Thank you for these flip books!!!
Debra J. Thomas says
Thanks for this great resource all in one place.
Thank you so much for these flip books! What an amazing idea to create these books!
Thank you so much for sharing!
I love your resources.
All the best to you and your family.
Debbie Kitchin says
I cannot download the free printable word family flip books, the link does not work! These would be really handy as I mostly work with special education and the younger grades. Please help
Angela Thayer says
Hmm that’s weird! Here is the direct link to the PDF – https://teachingmama.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Short-A-Family-Flip-Books.pdf
Margie Davis says
I love these flip books and know my students will too!
Ldarla Wiles says
The short a flip books are great. Where can I get other word family flip books?
Angela Thayer says
They are coming soon! I just released the short e flip books.