Have you ever met a preschooler who didn’t love music? Maybe I’m wrong, but I think every little kid is drawn to music. There’s something about it that draws them in and points their attnetion at whoever is making music.
Over the summer I took a class on early childhood transitions with a lot of preschool teachers. The course was designed to help teachers plan out an effective schedule and transitions to help decrease the number of behavior issues that happen throughout the preschool day. Since I was the only homeschool teacher/mom, she had me come up with transition activities I could do at our home. I came up with several transitions that I love to use now.
First of all, what is a transition? A transition is something th
at helps moves children from one activity to another. An example would be from lesson time to story time or clean up time to snack time. Transitions can be rhythmic chants, songs, or short stories. It is super important to have these transitions as a classroom teacher. Whenever you have dead time, that’s when the behavior problems start happening! (Am I right fellow teachers?!) Something I really love about transitions is that it introduces kids to music, rhythm, and rhyming. You do not need to be a great singer to use these at home! Just try your best and your child will love it!
Today I’m going to be sharing with you 10 transition songs and chants to help your preschool day run smoothly.
2. Do You Know What Time it Is?–a great song for practicing time! Maybe if youre transitioning from playtime to school time, then you would sing this song to signal that school is starting.
3. If You’re Happy and You Know It–a happy song to sing anytime during the day!
4. Clean Up Songs–Here are 2 songs that are fun to sing when its time to clean up!
5. Color Song– a fun way to practice colors!
6. This is the Way I Move!–a wonderful way to get your child moving and exercising while singing!
7. Finger on Your Lips–a song to use if you want your child to be quiet to listen.
8. Little Wiggle–a perfect chant to help get the wiggles out of your little one!
9. Washing Hands Song–a simple song to sing while washing hands!
10. Criss Cross Applesauce–a very familiar tune to little kids to help them sit down quietly.
To download your own copy of these transitions click here —-> Preschool Transitions
Try them out and see if these transition activities make a difference!